Today, I would like to offer my list of the Star Wars films in order from worst to best. I will only be counting the George Lucas era Star Wars, so six movies will make up this list. It is going to be my personal preference, so you may not agree with them. Nevertheless, I’m gonna try to give you the best list I can. Here we go:
6. Attack of the Clones- Honestly, Episodes One and Two are pretty interchangeable to me. If you ask me tomorrow, I might have this one at 5 instesd of 6. Anyway, there’s a lot wrong with this movie. The dialogue. The acting. The scenery. I think Lucas listened too much to the criticism of Episode One and tried to correct it too much. Seeing Yoda duel was pretty cool, but not enough to save the worst prequel, and possibly worst Star Wars, movie ever.
5. Phantom Menace- The problem with this one was it couldn’t match the hype. As the first Star Wars movie in sixteen years, we were all expecting Empire or Jedi. What we got was an overly political movie which did little to advance the story of Anakin Skywalker, the central figure to the saga. We see his origin, but this probably didn’t need to be as long as it did for us to see that. The duel at the end is epic, but the rest of the movie doesn’t hold up.
4. Revenge of the Sith- The best prequel movie still has it’s pitfalls. Nevertheless, this was the moment every fan wanted to see when they heard about the prequel trilogy. Anakin’s descent toward Vader is executed a little clumsily, but it’s still effective. It tries to tie up the loose ends to make the two trilogies connect, and it succeeds for the most part.
3. A New Hope- The first one is still an all time classic. It introduces us to heroes the world still talks about, gives us an iconic villain, and ends with one of the greatest space battles of all time. This is the best Star Wars George Lucas ever directed, and I wouldn’t blame anyone who has it ranked higher than either of the next two movies on their own list.
2. Return of the Jedi- From the opening sequence, you knew this movie was going to end in epic fashion. The movie moves us toward the inevitable climax of the saga, bringing Luke and Anakin’s story to a head with a duel more emotionally charged, to me, than any other. Both know the stakes, and Luke somehow manages to convince his father to return to the light after so long away. If not for the Ewoks, it would be a lot closer to number one.
1. The Empire Strikes Back- Simply put, this is the movie that made Star Wars what it is. It took everything great about the first movie and improved. It added to the mysticism of the Jedi and Sith, provided depth and nuance to our favorite characters, and contains one of the biggest twists of all time. Add all that to, in my opinion, the greatest lightsaber duel off all time, and you have the perfect Star Wars movie. It still holds up, and is probably the greatest sequel ever made.
Well, there’s my list. The reason I only did these films is because they tell a cohesive story. Whether you like the prequels or hate them, they mesh with the original trilogy. I hope you guys enjoyed the read and let me know what you think. Until next time.