Hello everyone and welcome to another Monday of Star Wars talk. Star Wars is a tale of heroes and villains, and very few heroes stand up to the likes of the original protagonist of the series, Luke Skywalker. With that in mind, I would like to present to you my personal list of Luke Skywalker’s greatest opponents:
5. Shimrra Jamaane- The leader of the Yuuzhan Vong during the Galactic Alliance’s war with them, Shimrra would push the Republic to the brink of disaster. He won many victories during the war, but was ultimately bested by Skywalker in a final duel.
4. Darth Caedus- Luke’s nephew, Caedus murdered Luke’s wife and brought Skywalker closer to the dark side than almost anyone else. Being of the same bloodline, Caedus could almost match Luke in power. A very worthy opponent indeed, and the only one on this list Luke did not defeat
3. Abeloth- The only person on this list more powerful than Luke at his peak, Abeloth was essentially a Force God. With power that rivaled the one’s of Mortis, Abeloth was only defeated when Luke joined forces with Darth Krayt. Together, proving the Force required balance, the two vanquished this common enemy at the Lake of Apparitions.
2. Darth Sidious- The author of the Skywalker tragedy and arguably the most powerful Sith of all time, Sidious stood in stark contrast to what Luke was. Although Sidious turned Luke into his apprentice for a short while, Skywalker was able to best him with the help of his sister.
1. Darth Vader- Even though Vader isn’t Luke’s most powerful foe, he is still the best. It is Vader that forces Luke to grow into the Jedi he becomes, setting him on a path that will see his family’s legacy redeemed. Their rivalry is still the best story in Star Wars history, and I think it always will be.
You’ll notice most of these opponents are from Legends canon, which is when we see Luke at his absolute peak. These are only a few of the threats he deals with though, so if you get a chance, check out the Legends novels. Especially if you were disappointed by the sequel trilogy. Until next time…..