Hello everyone and welcome to Fright Day. Today, as the name implies, I would like to present my very top Treehouse of Horror episodes from the Simpsons. The Simpsons is my favorite television show, and it just wouldn’t be Halloween if I didn’t view the Treehouses of Horror. Watching them, even now, takes me back to being a kid and seeing them for the first time. So, without further ado, here are my top five Treehouse of Horror episodes. Enjoy.
5. Treehouse of Horror 1- The original slots into my top five because it has everything that makes the episodes great. It has an encounter with aliens, a haunted house that chooses to destroy itself rather than live with the Simpsons, and an iconic retelling of one of the greatest horror stories of all time. A must see classic.
4. Treehouse of Horror 8- This one was fun. The nod to The Last Man on Earth is wonderful. Bart becoming an insect is pretty fantastic as well. The last segment isn’t one of their strongest, but seeing Marge be the evil one is a novelty in and of itself. The first two segments are gold, however, and good enough to get this to number four on my list.
3. Treehouse of Horror 2- This is what a sequel should be. It ups the stakes on the original, giving us many classic moments. Who can forget Kang and Kodos’ first invasion, and the fear they had when Moe pulled a counterattack with a board that had a nail in it? Or the world bending to Bart’s whim? And then of course there is Mr Burns building the ultimate worker in a super robot, but he completely screws it up by putting Homer’s brain into it. This one is a must see.
2. Treehouse of Horror 5- The Shinning. Homer time traveling. Cannibalistic school faculty members. If you want the peak of Treehouse of Horror, this is probably it. There’s not a weak segment, and an axe in Willie’s back during every story tops it off. Not to mention a great cameo from James Earl Jones voicing Maggie. This one isn’t just a great Halloween special, but one of the best episodes from the show period. If it were going off quality alone, this would top the list. But this list goes off of which one I think about when I think of Treehouse of Horror, and that leaves us with……
1. Treehouse of Horror 3- Nevertheless, my favorite Treehouse episode is undoubtedly the third edition. Every segment is good, as we get to see Homer battle an evil doll, and lose, a parody of King Kong, and a classic zombie story that sees Homer live out his fantasy of killing Flanders. Even if he didn’t know Flanders was a zombie. Oh well. At least the car was okay. And Homer got a free frogurt out of it.
As you can tell, my list is dominated by early entries. I just can’t help it though. The early Treehouses are some of the funnest TV I’ve ever watched. Let me know what you think of the list and I want to hear about yours. Until next time….